It is HERE
It is DONE
It was a JOURNEY
It took me approximately ~2 months to create my second youtube video, when… I was definitely hoping it’d take me more like 2 weeks but … well you can read on to learn what happened 💀 / 😂
📼 The video
Here it is!!! Video #2 is here, please take a watch if you’d like!!!
📹 The process
aka how could this video possibly take 2 months?
- Week of Oct 3: Thought of video idea and finished the script!
- Week of Oct 10: Tried to record! Realized I was kinda rusty at it, but managed to get a complete recording by the end of the week.
- Week of Oct 17: Decided I would try to edit in Final Cut Pro (I did my first video in Premiere); I start editing andddd I hated the recording I made lol. It was still on my old iPhone 8, and I recorded at the end of the day so the video quality was distractingly bad. This week I got an iPhone 14!!! 🥳 then I recorded the entire video again!
- Week of Oct 24: LOL I hated the SECOND video recording too 💀 this time because my delivery was really wooden and felt forced, and I thought the script was a bit too ambitious too, and didn’t feel focused enough. So I reworked the script a bit this week…
- Week of Oct 31: RECORDED A THIRD TIME, and thank god, this take seems like it could be used! Began the editing process.
- Week of Nov 7: Spent 9 hrs editing, still not finished…
- Week of Nov 14: FINISHED EDITING FINALLY, made thumbnail and posted to YouTube!
💖 What I like
- I like my graphics! I like my animations!
- Energy is good! Personality shows through! Editing getting a little better!
- There are some good moments & interesting stretches
- Small thing but the intro “pop”! sound is satisfying to me 😂
What I dislike
- Overall I’m not a big fan of this video! 😭
- It’s dense with information, and sometimes a little dry. Doesn’t feel like there’s enough “breathing room” throughout the whole thing
- The change in audio quality when I rerecorded sections is soooo annoying!! But I don’t know enough about audio stuff to fix it 🤔
- I think put too much in the video – even though it’s short, it’s so much information; which both made it hard to write and hard to edit
- I think I dislike it more because it took so long to make and the outcome is still meh lol. If this had taken me 2 weeks to make I think I’d be like “sweet this is good for 2 weeks”
- lol why am I not good at youtube yet!!!!!!!!!
🕊️ Words of encouragement to myself
- I think videos as a format are an interesting challenge for myself. Whenever I write for example, I usually go through several drastic revisions before I can get to the finished final product. With video editing, it’s SO much harder to do because recording is such a time-consuming process, and it’s really hard to rerecord a scene! So making videos forces me to try to get the structure right before recording, which… lol I’m actually pretty bad at. But the silver lining is, if I can improve my ability to structure videos before recording, that skill will probably carry over to all my other modes of creation, like writing and presentations!
- It’d be such a useful super power to be able to have an intuition for what makes a good youtube video (“good” meaning, a compelling and entertaining watch) – it’s worth practicing, I’ll get a lot better if I keep putting in the time!
- lol I did learn an entirely different video editing software for video 2, so it’s pretty reasonable that this took a long time
- and GOOD JOB, SELF; YOU KEPT GOING!!! even though you are not good at youtube yet 😂
- I’m starting to figure out my video style!!
- LOL technically I got exponentially faster, this video took me 2 months BUT my first one took 4 😂
⛅️ What I’ll try next time
- I definitely want to try a simpler video, with (hopefully) simpler structure – e.g. maybe “My Korean study routine” or “5 tips for starting a journal”
- maybe I’ll try to challenge myself to post a new video within 2 weeks????? I wonder if a constraint would be helpful to reduce scope of the type of video I want to create, and also to get me to practice simplifying structure before record. but I won’t be too disappointed if I don’t stick to this constraint!!
ty for following me on this youtube journey!!
please wish me luck for video #3 🥲